Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Building a House: Headaches

This week has been one gigantic headache, all because of the people who are in charge of doing the insulation.

Yesterday, the 18-year-old kid driving the big insulation truck backed right into our brand new mailbox.  I was dumbfounded.  He had two guys with him, and neither of them stuck around to watch his blind spots.  The truck lifted the corner of the mailbox – including the cement pad – six inches off the ground.  It bounced right back into place and looks fine, but it broke completely off the rebar, so it’s going to have to be redone.  The kid got out of the truck and gave me a sheepish, “Sorry.”  I’d say I was pretty generous with my, “Thanks, but sorry isn’t gonna cut it!!”  We are sooooo not happy.

This all occurred around 11:30 a.m. – when they got there to get started.  11:30??  Are you kidding me?  The day’s half gone!  When I went back around 3:00, they were gone already.  Had been for an hour!  We got a whopping 2 hours of work out of them, and they didn’t even get a complete wall done.  I told Jared to fire them, and he was ready to.  But he got an assurance from the salesman that they would be there bright and early in the morning to get the job done.

Guess what?  They didn’t even show up today!  And the job was supposed to be done today because the drywall is scheduled for tomorrow.  I am so far past unimpressed – I don’t even have words for it!!

They’re still on the job, only because we’re between a rock and a hard place.  I suspect the screaming will be heard ‘round the world if anything goes wrong tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment