Thursday, February 27, 2014

Mission Accomplished

 

This is a (not-so-great) picture of my great-grandmother.  She was a pretty neat lady.

02-2014-Ggma-Farnworth

 

She lived with my grandma and grandpa for a number of years after her husband died.  I think she spent most of her days crocheting.  She made doilies and afghans and more doilies.  I was mesmerized as I watched her hands create the intricate stitches.  Even in her advanced years, she made it look so easy.  My mom had taught me how to do a basic chain stitch as a young child.  Watching my great-grandma, I realized I wanted to be able to do what she did.  As the aging process took over, though, she was unable to teach me.  So my desire was pushed to the corner of my mind while I finished high school and college.

After I got married, I remembered that desire I had and decided to do something about it.  I checked a few books out from the library and taught myself.  I found free patterns on the internet and created my first doilies.  They certainly weren’t anything special and were obviously the creations of a novice!  But I kept at it.  I did a pink and white baby afghan for Emily when she was a newborn and it turned out beautifully!  The more I tried, the more I found that I really enjoyed crocheting.

I have made many doilies, baby shoes, a few scarves, Winnie the Poo, several rugs made from strips of fabric, a blessing dress for Rachel, a number of hats, and I’ve edged around a few blankets.  I’ve also done the names of family members in filet crochet.  I think I sort of have an addiction!

A number of years ago, I got a doily pattern book from Jared as a Christmas gift.  Most of the doilies were large and challenging…and I couldn’t wait to get started!  I knew as soon as I looked through the book which two I would create.  When they were done, I would frame them and hang them in my home.

All these years later, and my work is done!  And I couldn’t be happier about how they turned out!

02-2014-Doilies-1

 

They’re just set on the back of the couch for now.  I need to decide where to hang them (and what else to do in the room to liven it up).

 

This one is my favorite.

02-2014-Doilies-2

 

But I really like this one too!  (Blurry picture…)

02-2014-Doilies-3

 

I like to think that my grandma would be proud.  I am so thankful that she got the spark started inside of me.

1 comment:

  1. Heather, those are so stunningly beautiful!! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete