Friday, February 24, 2012

Assessment Days

Today was an assessment day for Daniel.  I HATE ASSESSMENT DAYS!!  Hate them!  I beam about my boy all week long, and then feel like I get sucker punched when it’s assessment time.  It is so disheartening to answer “no” to so many “Does/Can your child (fill in the blank)?” questions.

He is 10 months old, and he doesn’t pull himself up to things.  But why doesn’t it count that he is trying harder than I’ve ever seen a baby try?

He is 10 months old, and he doesn’t play social games like peek-a-boo and patty cake.  But why doesn’t it count that he can engage a stranger with just the sight of his big, beautiful, bright blue eyes?

He is 10 months old, and he doesn’t say any approximations of words.  But why doesn’t it count that his smile lights up a room, his giggle is intoxicating, and his lion’s roar brings everyone running?

Daniel sits like a rock star, is commando crawling almost as well as a 19-year-old kid in boot camp, his smiles melt my heart, and he is the most loveable, pleasant baby.  He works harder than any baby I’ve had.  AND…he’s been through more in his short 10 months than many people go through in a lifetime!!  But that’s not on the assessments.  I’m not in denial - I know he’s going to have delays.  But already – at 10 months old – he’s being labeled.  And I hate that.  Why must we use so many labels?  Why do we package up such a complex and unique individual into a one- or two-word statement?  Society-placed limitations is all they are.

Life should be more about celebrating where we’re at right now and how far we’ve come to get here.  It should be about individual strengths and abilities.  It should be about effort and heart, growth and triumph.  I’m so proud proud of my boy, and for how far he has come in his short 10 months.  And there is no assessment on Earth that will ever measure the joy he brings to me every single minute.

1 comment: