Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Knee Surgery

I had knee surgery on April 20 to repair a torn meniscus. Here's a looksie at the fun!

This is right after surgery. My knee is all bandaged up, and there's a white sock from my toes all the way up to the top of my thigh. It is to help with circulation, so the chance of getting a clot is reduced. I had to wear it until I was able to get around without crutches. I was able to put as much weight on my leg as I could tolerate. Amazingly, I didn't feel an ounce of pain until about 2 days after the surgery.


This is 48 hours after the surgery, when I got to take the bandages off and have a shower! Can you see the orange all the way from my ancle up to my mid-thigh? That's the antiseptic stuff they cleaned it off with before the surgery. It was tricky getting my leg up over the edge of our tub (which is higher than normal) to get into the shower!


This is how it looks without the bandage. The surgeon wrote "yes" on the correct leg just before they took me in to surgery. I'm glad they took the extra precautions to keep from operating on the wrong knee! Consequently, it took at least a week for that "yes" to wear off! You can't really see the stitches, but there are two of them, one on either side of my knee cap. They came out one week after the surgery.

I was on crutches for almost a week, though I was only using one for the last couple of days. I went to physical therapy 4 times. They really push you, but I really enjoyed going because it always made my knee feel so much better.

No comments:

Post a Comment